God tells us in the Bible that "What we do to the least of these we do unto Him."
Many of us believe this to be helping someone or many someones in an extravagant manner, such as flying across the ocean to rescue, teach, or love the orphaned. For some this is THEIR call. Many times we don't think of helping someone, by buying them a meal, speaking to them, or even PRAYING for them, in our own "backyard" (so to speak) as helping the least if these.
I encountered a moment like this today. As I was at a stop light on one of the most traveled streets of Portland, OR , I looked out my window. What I saw didn't come as a shock. I saw an elderly man, he looked to be in his late 60's , sitting up against a blue building. I watched him as he lit his cigarette and began smoking, nothing unusual. I turned my head to check if my light had yet turned green, it was still red. As turned towards the man once more I realized he was looking for something. He stood up rather quickly, he searched his coat pockets, his pant pockets, his hat, and even his shoes. To no avail. He then threw his head down in sadness or anger. He slumped down to the ground. What happened next got to me, it plucked my heart strings. I saw this old man, whom I've never met, this man who was searching extensively for something, begin to cry. As I watched a tear roll down the side of his wrinkled face, my light turned green.
It is quite apparent that I don't have the answer to the question "What was it?" Your guess is as good as mine. Most likely money. But I saw this old man as an orphan. Not particularly without a mother or father but without the only Savior, Jesus. I saw him searching for hope, and not finding it. Searching for love, only to reach disappointment. I have no idea what he is doing now. But as I drove down that street with tears filling my eyes, I said a prayer for him.
This little moment has allowed me to view "the least of these" as not only children in institutions across the globe, but also as people I meet on a daily basis- at school, in the check out line, wherever- who are wandering sheep looking for the perfect Shepard. I hope this encourages you to do the same.
Pray for someone (or many someones) who are in need of Christ's Love, today.
Thank you.
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment